Once I attend funerals, along with being unhappy, I nearly all the time stroll away impressed, as I’ve written a couple of bunch of occasions, together with right here.
One in every of my greatest takeaways from a latest funeral was an especially merely message.
My pal David mentioned everybody who knew his dad effectively, knew his go-to phrase, “Be alert.”
The ability of “Be alert” retains rising on me.
Simply after the funeral, I wrote a observe to my three (grown) youngsters about being alert. Their security is, naturally, of paramount significance to me, and “Be Alert” is nice as a result of it could actually imply so many issues.
- Be alert of your environment whenever you’re strolling down the road.
- Be alert when you are crossing the road (seemingly extra essential than ever with the proliferation of e-bikes, a few of which come at you the improper approach on one-way streets).
- Be alert whereas standing on the subway platform.
- Be alert of what you will say so that you don’t unintentionally offend.
- Be alert for alternatives – personally and professionally.
- Be alert whenever you’re driving (I’ve adopted “be alert” as a substitute for the “drive safely,” the trite send-off most of us have mentioned and heard numerous occasions.)
- Be alert to the way in which your thoughts works. (I’ve written concerning the significance and energy of mindfulness a bunch of occasions together with this submit – and there are numerous books, articles, and weblog posts you possibly can learn on the topic.)
I do know there are extra.
Be effectively, and be alert!