New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul at the moment introduced the discharge of New York’s third aggressive offshore wind solicitation, looking for sufficient clear, renewable vitality to energy not less than 1.5 million New York houses.
The procurement, administered by the New York State Vitality Analysis and Growth Authority (NYSERDA), contains the primary section of a $500 million funding in offshore wind ports, manufacturing, and provide chain infrastructure. At present’s announcement builds on a collection of great New York State offshore wind developments in 2022, together with the groundbreaking for New York’s first offshore wind venture.
New York State is looking for to acquire not less than 2,000 megawatts of offshore wind vitality via a various set of venture proposals whereas leveraging private and non-private capital to construct a sturdy provide chain. Along with the primary section of the state’s $500 million funding in ports, manufacturing and provide chain infrastructure, further notable provisions inside the solicitation embrace:
- Introducing a primary of its variety “meshed prepared” offshore transmission configuration, primarily based on suggestions from the New York State Energy Grid Research, which can facilitate offshore wind initiatives’ transition to a future system that may develop over time and supply higher reliability and adaptability whereas setting New Yorkers as much as save roughly $55-$60 million yearly;
- Awarding analysis factors for repurposing current downstate fossil-based electrical era infrastructure and using vitality storage to boost future system reliability and assist extra renewable vitality on the grid;
- Emphasizing in-state manufacturing, inclusive financial improvement and local weather fairness, fostering relationships with New York’s workforce together with building backed by prevailing wage, and inspiring venture labor agreements;
- In selling the intent of the New York Purchase American Act, this newest New York State offshore wind solicitation units a minimal U.S. iron and metal buy requirement for all initiatives awarded beneath the solicitation to encourage home metal manufacturing and requiring builders to offer alternatives for U.S.-based metal suppliers to take part within the rising offshore wind business;
- Enhancing stakeholder engagement, monitoring, and necessities for New York jobs; and
- Persevering with assist for accountable improvement via environmental and fisheries mitigation plans and the requirement to assist monitoring of fisheries and wildlife to higher perceive the interactions with offshore wind initiatives.
proposers can apply on NYSERDA’s offshore wind solicitation web page. Proposals are due on December 22, 2022, by 3:00 p.m.