Marine

Shell fires up Olympus tie-back in Gulf of Mexico 


Oil main Shell has kicked off manufacturing from a deepwater tie-back to its Olympus manufacturing hub, unlocking additional worth within the U.S. Gulf of Mexico.

Shell reported the beginning of manufacturing at PowerNap, a subsea growth with estimated peak manufacturing of 20,000 barrels of oil equal per day (boe/d), on Tuesday.

PowerNap subsea tieback; Source: Shell
PowerNap subsea tieback; Supply: Shell

Situated within the U.S. Gulf of Mexico, PowerNap is a tie-back to the Shell-operated Olympus manufacturing hub – with three manufacturing wells produced by means of a single insulated 19-mile flowline and high-pressure fuel carry functionality – within the prolific Mars Hall. Shell operates Olympus with a 71.5 per cent working curiosity, whereas BP holds the remaining 28.5 per cent.

Zoe Yujnovich, Shell Upstream Director, remarked: “Shell has been producing within the Mars Hall for greater than 25 years, and we proceed to search out methods to unlock much more worth there. PowerNap strengthens a core Upstream place that’s important to attaining our Powering Progress technique and guaranteeing we are able to provide the secure, safe power assets the world wants right now and sooner or later.” 

The power large found PowerNap – situated within the south-central Mississippi Canyon space roughly 240 kilometres from New Orleans in about 1,280 metres of water – in 2014 and since then it has been 100 per cent developed by Shell. The last funding choice (FID) for the venture was taken in 2019.

The corporate confirmed that the PowerNap manufacturing might be transported to market on the Mars pipeline, which is operated by Shell Pipeline Firm LP and co-owned by Shell Midstream Companions, L.P. (71.5 per cent) and BP Midstream Companions LP (28.5 per cent).

PowerNap; Courtesy of Shell
PowerNap; Courtesy of Shell

Shell acknowledged that its manufacturing within the U.S. Gulf of Mexico is among the many lowest greenhouse fuel (GHG) depth on this planet for producing oil. Relating to its power transition plans, the agency first introduced its purpose to turn into a net-zero emissions power enterprise by 2050 or sooner again in April 2020.

Lower than a month after a Dutch courtroom ordered Shell in Could 2021 to deepen its carbon emissions cuts in a ruling described as the primary of its sort, the corporate pledged to take some ‘daring however measured’ steps to speed up the discount of carbon emissions from its operations. Nonetheless, the power main set a brand new goal in October 2021 to halve its Scope 1 and a pair of emissions in comparison with 2016 ranges by 2030.

With regards to Shell’s most up-to-date actions elsewhere, it’s value noting that the corporate is making ready for the elimination of an FPSO and associated subsea infrastructure from the Knarr discipline, which is situated within the North Sea offshore Norway.

Moreover, this oil and fuel main additionally launched an amended environmental assertion (ES) earlier this month for its Jackdaw discipline growth situated within the UK North Sea, which the nation’s regulators rejected final 12 months.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button